Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that affects the hand and arm. It causes numbness, tingling, and other symptoms due to a pinched nerve in the wrist. Office workers often develop carpal tunnel because of repetitive motions like typing on a keyboard.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Each person’s situation is unique. There are similarities in symptoms but the causes of carpal tunnel syndrome vary. They include:
- Wrist Anatomy
- Health Problems
- Patterns of Hand Use
Persistent tingling, numbness or weakness of the fingers and/or hand requires treatment to restore normal function to the person showing symptoms of carpal tunnel. A number of treatment options are available through Montvale Health Sport & Spine. An expert evaluates the damage done and comes up with a plan to restore wrist and hand function.
Ways to Prevent Carpal Tunnel
When it comes to carpal tunnel syndrome, there are no definite ways to prevent it. The following list serves as suggestions on ways to prevent nerve pinching and persistent numbness or tingling:
- Keep the hands warm. Fingerless gloves prevent the hands from becoming cold without interfering with your ability to work.
- Reduce force and relax your grip. Tap keys lightly and use soft grip pens to write.
- Take frequent breaks. Stretch arms and fingers to prevent them from cramping and tingling.
- Watch your form. Stop bending your hands all the way up or down.
- Improve your posture. Make sure your shoulders are not rolling forward and causing pinching in the nerves in your wrist.
Repetitive motions cause pinching of nerves and cramping of hand muscles. Taking regular breaks from typing and other wrist-dependent activities is advisable. If anything, it provides relief from existing carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms.
Treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
A trained expert evaluates your hand and makes recommendations based on the amount of damage sustained from carpal tunnel syndrome. We then use the latest surgical technologies and techniques to treat the condition. Some of the common treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome and other hand and upper extremity conditions offered by Montvale Health Sport & Spine include:
- Endoscopic or Arthroscopic Techniques
- Custom Splinting
- Fracture Care
- Soft Tissue Injury Treatments
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
Carpal tunnel syndrome is often unavoidable but the good news is, it’s treatable. A trained professional makes recommendations based on your unique situation. Carpal tunnel syndrome causes discomfort and interferes with your ability to perform day-to-day tasks. Before the condition worsens, call (201) 391-8282 to request an appointment.